skip to main content

Free and Reduced Meals

Colorful Fruits and Veggies

Top of Page

YOU MUST fill out and return an application at the beginning of each school year.  With our computer program and for auditing purposes this is necessary. If your student has been on the free or reduced priced meal program for the previous school year, YOU MUST fill out an application again for the current school year. Please remember to put your child's registered name on the application so that we can find them in our system.
If you have more than one child in our school district, you may list all of them on one application even if they attend different school sites. We do not need an application for each child in your family.
You may fill out an application and return it to the District Office, 1755 Airport Blvd. prior to school beginning, and your child will be in the system when school begins. This will be a much easier transition for your child.
If you choose to wait until school begins, return your application as soon as possible, after two charges your child will be given only fruit or a vegetable until your application has been processed.
Once your child's application has been approved, you will receive a letter letting you know what they have qualified for, either free or reduced priced meals. Please be patient at the beginning of the school year as hundreds of applications are received in a short amount of time. Letters will be sent out as soon as possible. You can call the District Office to find out what your child's qualification is or if you have any questions, please contact Tina Egan, Food Service Director at 527-7200 ext. 109.

Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
Top of Page

1. Do I need to fill out an application for each child?
No.Complete the application to apply for free or reduced priced meals. Use one Free and Reduced Priced School meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information.
2. Who can get free meals?
Children in households getting Food Stamps or TANF and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income.  Also, your children can get free priced meals if your household income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.
3. Can homeless, runaway and migrant children get free meals?
Please call 530-527-7200 to see if your child(ren) qualify, if you have not been informed that they will get free meals.
4. Who can get reduced priced meals?
Your child(ren) can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced priced limits on the Federal Income Chart, shown on this application.
5. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free or reduced priced meals?
Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions.  Call if you have questions.
6. I get WIC.  Can my child(ren) get free meals?
Children in households participating in WIC, may be eligible for free or reduced priced meals.  Please fill out an application.
7. Will the information I give be checked? 
Yes, we may ask you to send written proof.
8. If I don't qualify now, may I apply later? 
Yes.  You may apply at any time during the school year if your household size goes up, income goes down, or if you start getting Food Stamps, TANF or other benefits.  If you lose your job, your child(ren) may be able to get free or reduced meals.
9. What if I disagree with the school's decision about my application?
You should talk to school officials.  You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: Red Bluff Elementary, Tina Egan, 1755 Airport Blvd, Red Bluff, CA 96080
10. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? 
Yes.  You or your child(ren) do not have to be a U.S. citizen to qualify for free or reduced priced meals.
11. Who should I include as members of my household?
You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends).  You must include yourself and all children who live with you.
12. What if my income is not always the same?
List the amount that you normally get.  For example, if you normally get $1,000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1,000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.
13. We are in the military, do we include our housing allowance as income?
If your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.  All other allowances must be included in your gross income.
If you have questions or need help, please call 530-527-7200.

Nutrition Program - Non-Discrimination Statement
Top of Page

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.  Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
1. mail:
U.S. Department of Agriculture 
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 
1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.